Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 20: Library Social Networks

Whew....social networks...I guess I shouldn't of been surprised that 55% of all teenagers use social networks ..which has surpassed land line telephone use. Really social networks are one stop shopping. They have it all, pictures, video, IM, networking on all levels. I found this very fascinating. Now I will understand a bit more when my teenager is talking about all of this. I did register for a facebook account. I hope to link up with some former classmates or others with some similar interests. Facebook to me was a bit more user friendly than MySpace. Of course I spent a bit more time with Facebook than I did MySpace...but it just seemed easier to navigate and understand. I viewed a couple of library sites in MySpace. I can really see how this would be a great thing to tap into for teen library use. I imagine teens would communicate more this way than the usual Internet options....I mean the numbers certainly support this theory. I would love to see us...Pioneerland, Plum Creek, and Sammie do something with this...create a MySpace account that would link our catalogs and many other things. Teens might just love it too.

No comments: